Copyright 2019 .
All Rights Reserved.

8:00 - 15:00

Our Opening Hours Sun. - Thu.


Call Us



Generic filters
Filter by Categories
Access Restricted Areas
Activities - Bertha Justice Fellowship
Annual Report
Assassination Reports
Closure on the Gaza Strip
Closure Update
Death Penalty
Election Reports
Fellows - Bertha Justice Fellowship
Freedom Of Association
Freedom of Expression / Peaceful Assemly
Freedom of Movement
Home Demolition / Distruction of Property
ICC / Universal Jurisdiction
Security Chaos
Field Updates
Israeli Settlements
Legislative Council
Other Information
Closure Update
External Publications
Fact Sheets
Human Rights Council (HRC)
Local Council Elections 2016
Position Papers
Special Procedures
Submissions to the UN
Treaty Bodies
Palestine to the ICC
Advocacy Activities
External publications
Palestinian Human Rights Organizations Council (PHROC)
Special Reports & Studies
Weekly Reports
Right to Health
Security Chaos
Field Updates
Special Reports & Studies
The War on the Gaza Strip
Torture in Palestinian Prisons
UN Interventions
Weekly Reports
Women Rights

28 December 2008: The Abu Taima family

 “Living under occupation means that whatever hopes we
have, it will fall apart one day. For example, you bring up your child and put
all of your hopes in him or her, but then they come and kill your child and all
your hopes are destroyed.”


In the early
morning of 28 December 2008 Mahmoud Abu Taima, his wife Manal, and their two
oldest sons, Khalil and Nabil were collecting zucchini from their lands in
Khuza’a village, east of Khan Younis. After a few hours the two brothers went
to their uncle’s farmland a few hundred meters further west. At around 8:30 the
Israeli army fired a shell from the border fence which landed between the two
boys. Nabil (16) was killed and Khalil was critically injured.


“You must
understand, the area was very calm. Many farmers were working on their lands.
It is an open area. I saw a projectile coming from the border fence towards the
farm lands. Then I heard the explosion. I immediately ran towards the place of
impact because I knew my sons were in that area. By the time that I arrived,
people had already put the boys on a donkey cart to bring them to the
hospital,” recalls Mahmoud Abu Taima (40). Khalil was critically injured by
shrapnel in the chest and limbs and underwent a life saving surgery immediately
after arriving in the hospital. “While we buried Nabil we were expecting that
they would bring Khalil’s body from the hospital too,” says the boys’ mother
Manal (37).


The Abu
Taima family, who have their home in Abasan village, east of Khan Yunis, has
been traumatized by the death of their son and brother Nabil. His parents, and
6 eldest siblings Khalil (20), Naima (18), Isra’ (15),
Mohammed (14), Abdel Rahman (9), and Ibrahim (6) all have dear memories of him.
“Nabil was a part of us and he had a big place in my heart. I remember him in
every moment and I feel that he is present with us. Like now, when I drink tea,
I remember him and feel that he is present. When I eat my meals I feel as if he
is still here with us. I can never forget him,” says his father Mahmoud.


“Nabil’s mind
was older than his age,” says Manal, “he was very clever at school and all of
his teachers and the students liked him a lot. On the anniversary date of his
death, his teachers and friends come to visit us. Besides going to school,
Nabil liked to breed rabbits. Until his death we had about 50 rabbits. Since
his death they died and we stopped getting new ones. We don’t feel like it
anymore, now that he is not here.” Ibrahim (6) and Abdel Rahman(9) had a very
close relationship with Nabil.  Manal
says: “They were badly affected by his death. They wanted to take the shovel
and open his grave so they could take him from his grave and bring him to a
doctor for treatment. Ibrahim was upset and stressed for a long time so I took
him to a psychologist. When I told the children that a human rights
organization was coming to talk to us Ibrahim asked me if they would bring


Khalil has
spent the past years trying to recover from his physical injuries. “After 3
days I was transferred to Egypt for additional surgery. In the months after
that I went to Médicines sans Frontières after finishing school and had 3 hour
sessions of physiotherapy. I had very long days. Despite everything, there is
still shrapnel inside my legs, chest and arms which cannot be removed.  There are places in my left leg in which I
can’t feel anything. My ankles always hurt and I can’t move the way I did
before. My mobility, including my walking, has been affected. I can’t do
everything that I want. For example, nowadays I play football alone because I
am too afraid someone will hit my leg and I will be in agony.”


Besides his
physical injuries, Khalil is trying to deal with the loss of his brother and
the trauma of the incident. “We would always go to school and other places
together. I feel as if I lost a part of my body. It is difficult to continue my
life without this part. During the war it was my ‘tawjihi’[final high school] year and I had to go to school.
I was traumatized after the incident. When I was sleeping I could hear the
sound of a missile coming towards me. Somehow, I passed the tawjihi that year and am in university
now.” Manal adds that Khalil used to have panic attacks after the incident,
“even the sound of birds could make him have a panic attack.”


A few days
after the attack, Israeli bulldozers destroyed the farmland belonging to the
Abu Taima family, approximately 700 meters away from the fence. “We had zucchini
crops, and a small storage room for fertilizers and equipment. We also had a
water pump and water irrigation network. It is all destroyed now. We were
unable to go to our farm for 2 years as it was too dangerous. Now we go again,
despite the Israeli army shooting towards us. It is difficult. Since the death
of my son I lost my motivation to work in the land,” says Mahmoud.


Mahmoud does
not dare to have hopes or expectations for the future anymore: “living under
occupation means that whatever hopes we have, it will fall apart one day. For
example, you bring up your child and put all of your hopes in him or her, but
then they come and kill your child and all your hopes are destroyed. We try to
think about the future and have long-term hopes but it’s not possible for us.”


The family
is not optimistic of the chances that they will see a court case against those
responsible for their son’s death. “Nabil was not the first and last one who
was killed by the army. Many boys like him were killed. Even if they [Israel]
can capture the soldier who fired the shell, they will say he is insane,” says


PCHR submitted a criminal complaint to the Israeli authoritiess on behalf
of the Abu Taima family on 2 July 2009. To-date, no response has been received.


The series of

– 27 December 2008: The Al Ashi Family.

No Comments

Leave a Comment