|Front Line Defenders:Protection Coordinator (Middle East and North Africa)|
|Sunday, 05 August 2012 00:00|
Front Line Defenders (www.frontlinedefenders.org) is seeking an experienced human rights researcher/campaigner to take on this challenging post based in the region. The Protection Coordinator (MENA) will be responsible for maintaining and developing Front Line Defenders' contacts with human rights defenders in countries in the region, providing rapid response to cases of human rights defenders at risk, undertaking research on the threats and attacks that they face, providing analysis and producing relevant materials to take action in their support.
The successful candidate will have at least three years experience of human rights related work in the MENA region and excellent written and oral communication skills in Arabic and English. Please note that we cannot make exceptions to the language requirement. Knowledge of French is desirable. The successful candidate will have demonstrated sound political judgement, a good cross-regional perspective and the ability to deliver accurate and objective written information in a high pressure environment dictated by the need to respond urgently to threats against human rights defenders. They will ideally have experience of working with human rights defenders and knowledge of the security risks that they face.
The location of the post in the region will be finalised with the successful candidate. Salary according to experience.
Applications, comprising CV, cover letter and examples of published research should be sent to:
Andrew Anderson, Deputy Director Front Line Defenders Grattan House, Temple Rd, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Please indicate the full title of the position in the subject line of the email, or the application may be missed.
Job Description: Protection Coordinator (Middle East and North Africa)
The Protection Coordinator (MENA) is responsible for maintaining and developing Front Line Defenders' contacts with human rights defenders in countries in the region, providing rapid response to cases of human rights defenders at risk, undertaking research on the threats and attacks that they face, providing analysis and producing relevant materials to take action in their support.
1) Identify human rights defenders at risk and establish and sustain secure communications with them;
2) Providing rapid response to cases of human rights defenders at risk, including but not limited to the urgent appeal system;
3) Undertake research on the threats and attacks that human rights defenders face, obtain information, verify it and provide input for reports and other related materials which can be used to generate action on their behalf, whilst ensuring the independence, accuracy and credibility of the information Front Line Defenders publishes on the region;
4) Provide analysis and briefing papers on the threats faced by human rights defenders in specific countries and provide expert input to Front Line Defenders' advocacy, media work, training activities and small grants program;
5) Maintain and update the relevant information on human rights defenders and action taken on their behalf in Front Line Defenders' database and submit timely reports on missions and other activities;
6) Develop contacts and liaise with relevant regional and other organisations with regard to Front Line Defenders' work for the protection of human rights defenders in the region;
7) Represent Front Line Defenders to relevant authorities, international organizations and the media as appropriate;
8) Undertake other projects as delegated by the Director, Deputy Director or Head of Protection.
The Protection Coordinator (MENA) works as necessary in Arabic and English and must be willing to travel on a regular basis as part of their role.
The post reports to the Head of Protection.