Palestinian Centre for Human Rights



Security Chaos and Proliferation of Small Arms

Misuse of Weapons by Armed Groups and Security Personnel

Field Update

19 March 2006


3 Citizens killed and 4 injured in military action and misuse of weapons

At approximately 19:45 on Friday, 17 March 2006, a homemade rocket exploded in an agricultural area in Ez’bet Fad’ous area north of Beit Lahya. The rocket exploded as an armed group was preparing to fire it at Israeli targets. The rocket detonated prematurely killing 2 members of the group:

-   Mohammad Abdel Fattah Aqel, 22 years old, from El-Bureij refugee camp, a member of Al-Quds Battalions – the armed wing of Islamic Jihad; and

-   Ibrahim Shehada Qasem, 27 years old, from Beit Lahya, a member of Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades

Aqel was killed as a result of shrapnel injuries to the upper body, mostly in the head. And Qasem was killed as a result of shrapnel injuries to the head, chest, and arms. Both were taken by ambulance to Kamal Odwan Hospital in Beit Lahya.

At approximately 16:45 on Friday, 17 March 2006, Majed Mohammad Saleh El-Jalous, 40 years old and a resident of Khan Yunis refugee camp, was injured in the right thigh by a bullet from an unknown source. PCHR’s initial investigation indicates that El-Jalous was with family members in a farm owned by a friend near the European Hospital in Khan Yunis. He was taken to Naser Hospital in Khan Yunis for treatment.

At approximately 19:40 on the same day, 2 citizens from Khan Yunis refugee camp sustained shrapnel injuries in their legs, as a result of a bullet that issued from a gun they were cleaning. The incident took place in the Austrian quarter in Khan Yunis. Both were taken to El-Salam Hospital for treatment, where their injuries were listed as moderate.

At approximately 20:30 on Friday, Mohammad Kamal Weshah, a 17-year old resident of El-Bureij refugee camp, was hit by 2 bullets to the chest. He was taken to Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir El-Balah, where he died shortly after arrival. PCHR’s initial investigation indicates that Weshah was hit by 2 bullets that were fired accidentally from a friend’s gun, as the victim and friends were near Weshah’s house in Bloc 7 of El-Bureij refugee camp.

At approximately 11:00 on Saturday, 18 March 2006, Marwan Faraj Mohammad El-Jadba (19) sustained a shrapnel injury in his left eye. The injury resulted from the accidental explosion of a homemade grenade. The injury occurred during the funeral procession of Mohammad Aqel, who was killed by the premature detonation of a homemade rocket in Beit Layha a day earlier. El-Jadba was taken to Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir El-Balah for treatment, from where he was transferred to the Ophthalmic Hospital in Gaza City.

PCHR expresses great concern over the continued falling of victims due to the misuse of weapons. In addition, the Centre reiterates its position against targeting civilians, and calls for their protection in accordance with International Humanitarian Law.



More Field Updates



For more information please call: +972 (0)- 8 - 2824776 – 2825893.* 

*Office Hours are between 0800 – 1600 hours (0500 GMT – 1300 GMT) Sun – Thurs.



Palestinian Centre for Human Rights

29 Omer El Mukhtar St., El Remal, PO Box 1328 Gaza, Gaza Strip tel/fax: +972 (0)8 282 4776 – 282 5893

email: pchr@pchrgaza.org      website: www.pchrgaza.org