Palestinian Centre for Human Rights
Misuse of Weapons by Armed Groups and Security Personnel
22 February 2007
Palestinian Killed and 12 Injured, including a Child, by Incidents of Misuse of Weapons in Gaza and Deir El-Balah
PCHR’s preliminary investigation indicates that at approximately 16:30 on Wednesday, 21 February 2007, Adham Atallah Sha’ath, a 25-year resident of Gaza City, was killed by a bullet in the back. Ahmad Khader El-Shamali (23) was injured by a bullet in the right foot. They were hit when bullets were accidentally fired from a firearm they mishandled in Johr El-Deek village, southeast of Gaza City. They were taken to Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital, where Sha’ath was pronounced dead upon arrival and transferred to the forensic medicine department in Shifa Hospital. El-Shamali’s injury was listed as moderate.
At approximately 13:00 on Wednesday, 21 February 2007, Nahda Sa’di Hasanein, a 20-year old female resident of Sheja’eya Quarter in Gaza City was admitted to Shifa Hospital suffering from a gunshot wound in the abdomen. She was injured while inside her house; and the source of the shot was not determined. When members of the young woman’s clan were inside the hospital, a verbal dispute broke out when they refused to give information about the injured woman to the Executive Force station in the hospital. At approximately 19:30 on the same day, the Executive Force prevented members from Hasanein clan from entering the hospital because they were armed. An gunfight broke out between both sides in the hospital compound, and led to the injury of 10 people:
- Sa’ad Sa’di Hasanein (23) was injured by a bullet in the leg;
- Anwar Madi Hasanein (42) was injured by a bullet in the back;
- Omar Madi Hasanein (48) was injured by shrapnel in the face;
- Sakher Sa’di Hasanein (27) was injured by a bullet in the right thigh;
- Ahmad Mesbah El-Kahlout (20), an Executive Force member injured by a bullet in the left thigh;
- Zeid Mo’in Abu Ajwa (25), an Executive Force member injured by a bullet in the left foot;
- Jehad El-Ferani (23), an Executive Force member injured by a bullet in the right hand;
- Mohammad Seyam (35), an Executive Force member injured by a bullet in the right thigh;
- Wasim Maher Ereif (3), a child by shrapnel in the feet; and
- Mohammad Jamil Ereif (21) injured by a bullet in the right hand.
At approximately 12:00 on Wednesday, 21 February 2007, Zaki Hussein Abu El-Thieb (39) from Deir El-Balah was admitted to Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in the city. He was suffering from a gunshot wound in the right leg. El-Thieb, who works in the security apparatus Force 17, was injured from a firearm he was carrying when he attempted to fire during a dispute in a mechanics garage in Deir El-Balah.
At approximately 1:45 in the morning of Wednesday, 21 February 2007, an explosive charge was detonated in front of the house of the Director of Police Security, Abdel Naser Doghmosh (45), in Tal El-Hawa Quarter in Gaza City. The explosion shook the area, and caused damages to the house entrance. In addition, the house windows were shattered. No injuries were reported.
PCHR is concerned over the continued falling of victims by the misuse of weapons. In addition, the Centre strongly condemns the clashes inside Shifa Hospital. The Centre reiterates the call to the PNA, represented by the Attorney-General, to seriously investigate these crimes, and to bring the perpetrators to justice.
Palestinian Centre for Human Rights
29 Omer El Mukhtar St., El Remal, PO Box 1328 Gaza, Gaza Strip tel/fax: +972 (0)8 282 4776 – 282 5893
email: firstname.lastname@example.org website: www.pchrgaza.org